Heating and Fuel Assistance
Low-income Heating Assistance Program (LiHEAP)
Please note, if you have not yet applied for heating assistance for the 2014/2015 heating season, and you live in subsidized housing with heat included, or in a home where heat is included, this includes those who pay for room and board, Penquis will be taking application for these clients only until July 17, 2015. This extension allows the tenants described above who rely on SNAP to apply for LiHEAP during the months of May, June and July so they will receive their full benefit should their SNAP benefits be up for review.
Fuel Assistance (Low-income Home Energy Assistance Program, HEAP, or LiHEAP) assists income-eligible households in Penobscot, Piscataquis, and Knox Counties with high winter heating costs. Homes may be heated with oil, kerosene, coal, pellets, wood, LP gas, or electricity.
Applications are taken by appointment from August to April.
For the current income guidelines click HERE
When you come to your appointment you will need the following:
*Please note in addition to the items below, a photo ID of the primary applicant will be requested at the time of intake, (if available).What to bring to your appointment:
1. Primary Applicant to provide PHOTO ID such as Driverâ€™s License, State Issued ID
Card, Passport, SNAP/EBT Photo ID or US Military Photo ID Card.
2. Social Security Cards & dates of birth for ALL household members.
3. Your most RECENT electric bill with Kilowatt usage.
4. A copy of your fuel bill with name and account number.
5. A copy of your Lease including the Name, street address & phone number of your landlord if you are renting.
6. Proof of ALL GROSS income for ALL household members for the previous 3 months OR previous 12 months not including the month of your appointment.
7. Including but not limited to: Proof of ALL interest income, general assistance, school loans or grants, child support, notes of support from anyone who assisted you or your household: with dollar amount of assistance for the same time frame as your gross income.
8. Copy of Divorce Decree or Parental Rights Agreement to show proof of Primary Residency for all minor children.
To call for an appointment
Funding provided by Maine Housing.
|Join Our Mailing List|