Heating and Fuel Assistance
Low-income Heating Assistance Program (LiHEAP)
Fuel Assistance (Low-income Home Energy Assistance Program, HEAP, or LiHEAP) assists income-eligible households in Penobscot, Piscataquis, and Knox Counties with high winter heating costs. Homes may be heated with oil, kerosene, coal, pellets, wood, LP gas, or electricity.
Applications are taken by appointment from August to April. For more information or to make an appointment, please call the phone numbers listed below.
For the current income guidelines click HERE
When you come to your appointment you will need the following:
*Please note in addition to the items below, a photo ID must be presented at the time of intake from the primary applicant (person applying for LIHEAP) This is new!!What to bring to your appointment:
1. Primary Applicant to provide PHOTO ID such as Drivers License, State Issued ID
Card, Passport, SNAP/EBT Photo ID or US Military Photo ID Card.
2. Social Security Cards & dates of birth for ALL household members.
3. Your most RECENT electric bill with Kilowatt usage.
4. A copy of your fuel bill with name and account number.
5. A copy of your Lease including the Name, street address & phone number of your landlord if you are renting.
6. Proof of ALL GROSS income for ALL household members for the previous 3 months OR previous 12 months not including the month of your appointment.
7. Including but not limited to: Proof of ALL interest income, general assistance, school loans or grants, child support, notes of support from anyone who assisted you or your household: with dollar amount of assistance for the same time frame as your gross income.
8. Copy of Divorce Decree or Parental Rights Agreement to show proof of Primary Residency for all minor children.
To call for an appointment:
Bangor 973-3630 www.penquis.org
Dover-Foxcroft 564-7116 to schedule an appointment online
Knox County 596-0361
Funding provided by Maine Housing.
|Join Our Mailing List|