Heating and Fuel Assistance
Low-income Heating Assistance Program (LiHEAP)
Fuel Assistance (Low-income Home Energy Assistance Program, HEAP, or LiHEAP) assists income-eligible households in Penobscot, Piscataquis, and Knox Counties with high winter heating costs. Homes may be heated with oil, kerosene, coal, pellets, wood, LP gas, or electricity.
Applications are taken by appointment from August to April. For more information or to make an appointment, please call the phone numbers listed below. You can also make an appointment online HERE.
The current income guidelines are available HERE.
When you come to your appointment you will need the following:
- Social Security CARDS and dates of birth for all household members.
- Your most recent electric and telephone bill.
- A copy of your fuel bill with name and account number.
- Name, street address, and phone number of your landlord if you are renting.
- Proof of all gross income for all household member for the previous 3 or 12 months.
- Proof of all interest income, general assistance, and child support for the same time frame as your gross income.
- If renting, the landlords name, street address, phone number and a copy of the lease agreement.
- A copy of Divorce Decree or Parental Rights Agreement will be needed to show proof of primary residency for minor children.
Funding provided by Maine Housing.
|Join Our Mailing List|