Heating and Fuel Assistance
Low-income Heating Assistance Program (LiHEAP)
Please know that appointments may be booked out as late as November and early December as earlier appointments have been given to the elderly and to families with small children who applied last year.
Fuel Assistance (Low-income Home Energy Assistance Program, HEAP, or LiHEAP) assists income-eligible households in Penobscot, Piscataquis, and Knox Counties with high winter heating costs. Homes may be heated with oil, kerosene, coal, pellets, wood, LP gas, or electricity.
Applications are taken by appointment from September 1 to April.
For the current income guidelines click HERE
When you come to your appointment you will need the following:
What to bring to your appointment:
1. Primary applicant,(the person applying) if available, will need to provide a valid photo ID such as Driverâ€™s License, State Issued ID Card, Passport, SNAP/EBT Photo ID or US Military Photo ID Card.
2. Social Security Cards & dates of birth for ALL household members.
3. Your most RECENT electric bill.
4. A copy of your fuel bill with name and account number.
5. A copy of a current lease including the Name, street address & phone number of your landlord if you are renting.
6. Proof of ALL GROSS income for ALL household members for the previous 3 months OR previous 12 months not including the month of your appointment.
7. Including but not limited to: Proof of ALL interest income, general assistance, school loans or grants, child support, TANIF, notes of support from anyone who assisted you or your household: with dollar amount of assistance for the same time frame as your gross income.
8. Copy of Divorce Decree or Parental Rights Agreement to show proof of Primary Residency for all minor children.
9. If you are the
guardian for a client, you will need to provide Guardianship Documents at the
time of your appointment and the Guardianâ€™s Photo ID. Client does not need to
|Join Our Mailing List|