Fuel Assistance ( Home Energy Assistance Program, HEAP) assists income-eligible households in Penobscot, Piscataquis, and Knox counties with high winter heating costs. Homes may be heated with oil, kerosene, coal, pellets, wood, LP gas, or electricity.
Applications are taken by appointment beginning the week of September 3rd, 2019. The initial appointments are booked for households who have with children under 2 and older than 60, who were approved last year and whose heat is not included in their rental costs. If you meet this criteria, watch for a yellow appointment card in the mail. If you can not make that appointment date, please call to reschedule.
For the HEAP appointment line, please call 207-973-3630 or 1-800-215-4942. You can also try any of these local numbers:
- Bangor: 207-973-3500
- Dover: 207-564-7116
- Lincoln: 207-794-3093
- Rockland: 207-596-0361
When you come to your appointment please bring the following:
- The primary applicant (the person applying), if available, will need to provide a valid, non-expired photo ID such as a Driver’s License, State Issued ID Card, Passport, SNAP/EBT Photo ID, or US Military Photo ID Card.
- Social Security Cards & dates of birth for ALL household members.
- Your most RECENT electric bill.
- A copy of your fuel bill with name and account number.
- A copy of a current lease, including the name, street address, and phone number of your landlord if you are renting.
- Proof of ALL GROSS income for ALL household members for the previous 3 months OR previous 12 months, not including the month of your appointment.
- Additional document including but not limited to: proof of ALL interest income, general assistance, school loans or grants, child support, TANIF, and notes of support from anyone who assisted you or your household with dollar amount of assistance for the same time frame as your gross income.
- If you are the guardian for a client, you will need to provide Guardianship Documents at the time of your appointment and the Guardian’s Photo ID. The client does not need to be present
Energy Savings and Supportive Services
Individuals receiving LIHEAP are eligible for the Energy Savings and Supportive Services. This program provides the opportunity to learn about energy saving tips without sacrificing the comfort of your home. Participants receive free energy savings kits, a home energy assessments, learn about operating costs of specific appliances, air sealing techniques and more. Those who stay enrolled in the program for one year will receive additional help with heating costs.
We can work one-on-one with individuals while they are in the energy savings program to connect to other community resources to address a variety of needs like transportation, budgeting, health care coverage, and child care.
Penquis will hold the first E-Talk class on June 25, at 2:00 pm at 262 Harlow St., Bangor ME.