Fuel Assistance (Home Energy Assistance Program, HEAP) assists income-eligible households in Penobscot, Piscataquis, and Knox counties with high winter heating costs. Homes may be heated with oil, kerosene, coal, pellets, wood, LP gas, or electricity.
Phone applications are taken by appointment beginning the week of August 24, 2020. Due to COVID-19, all appointments will be done by phone. There are drop boxes at each Penquis location, if you would like to drop your application off.
The initial appointments are booked for priority households for those who pay their own heat, households that have children 72 months or those who are 60 years and older or those who are disabled that applied last year. Appointments are then booked for anyone else that pays for their own heat and does not fit in the priority category and then appointments are booked for clients whose heat is included. If you meet this criteria, watch for a yellow appointment card in the mail. If you cannot make that appointment date, please call to reschedule. Penquis is booking into March at this time. Please remember this is a fuel assistance program and it is not designed to pay for your entire heat for all of the heating season. We will do our very best to get you scheduled and serviced as soon as possible.
For the HEAP appointment line, please call 207-973-3630 or 1-800-215-4942. You can also try any of these local numbers:
- Bangor: 207-973-3500
- Dover: 207-564-7116
- Lincoln: 207-794-3093
- Rockland: 207-596-0361
Once you’ve had your phone appointment, please send in the following:
- The primary applicant (the person applying), if available, will need to provide a valid or expired photo ID such as a Driver’s License, State Issued ID Card, Passport, SNAP/EBT Photo ID, or US Military Photo ID Card.
- Social Security Cards & dates of birth for ALL household members.
- Your most RECENT electric bill.
- A copy of your fuel bill with name and account number.
- If you rent, you must including the name, street address, and phone number of your landlord if you are renting. If you live in a hotel/motel, you will also need 60 consecutive days of receipts.
- Proof of ALL GROSS income for ALL household members for the previous 3 months OR previous 12 months, not including the month of your appointment.
- Additional documents including, but not limited to: proof of ALL interest income, general assistance, school loans or grants, child support, TANF, and notes of support from anyone who assisted you or your household with dollar amount of assistance for the same time frame as your gross income.
- If you are the guardian for a client, you will need to send in your Guardianship Documents and your Photo ID before the time of your appointment. You will also need to send the client’s Photo ID as well in order for your application to be completed. The client does not need to be present.
Energy Savings and Supportive Services
Individuals receiving LIHEAP are eligible for the Energy Savings and Supportive Services. This program provides the opportunity to learn about energy saving tips without sacrificing the comfort of your home. Participants receive free energy savings kits, a home energy assessments, learn about operating costs of specific appliances, air sealing techniques and more. Those who stay enrolled in the program for one year will receive additional help with heating costs.
We can work one-on-one with individuals while they are in the energy savings program to connect to other community resources to address a variety of needs like transportation, budgeting, health care coverage, and child care.