Fuel Assistance (Low-income Home Energy Assistance Program, HEAP, or LiHEAP) assists income-eligible households in Penobscot, Piscataquis, and Knox counties with high winter heating costs. Homes may be heated with oil, kerosene, coal, pellets, wood, LP gas, or electricity.
Applications are taken by appointment from September 1st to April 30th.
For the LiHEAP appointment line, please call 207-973-3630 or 1-800-215-4942. You can also try any of these local numbers:
- Bangor: 207-973-3500
- Dover: 207-564-7116
- Lincoln: 207-794-3093
- Rockland: 207-596-0361
When you come to your appointment you will need the following:
- The primary applicant (the person applying), if available, will need to provide a valid, non-expired photo ID such as a Driver’s License, State Issued ID Card, Passport, SNAP/EBT Photo ID, or US Military Photo ID Card.
- Social Security Cards & dates of birth for ALL household members.
- Your most RECENT electric bill.
- A copy of your fuel bill with name and account number.
- A copy of a current lease, including the name, street address, and phone number of your landlord if you are renting.
- Proof of ALL GROSS income for ALL household members for the previous 3 months OR previous 12 months, not including the month of your appointment.
- Additional document including but not limited to: proof of ALL interest income, general assistance, school loans or grants, child support, TANIF, and notes of support from anyone who assisted you or your household with dollar amount of assistance for the same time frame as your gross income.
- Copy of Divorce Decree or Parental Rights Agreement to show proof of Primary Residency for all minor children.
- If you are the guardian for a client, you will need to provide Guardianship Documents at the time of your appointment and the Guardian’s Photo ID. The client does not need to be present.