Above Ground Storage Tank Replacement
This program works in partnership with the Department of Environmental Protection to provide free replacement of leaking or vulnerable above ground oil storage tanks.
This program is only open to home owners with private wells. The home owner must be eligible for Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LiHEAP).
Utility Assistance Programs
Electrical Utility Assistance assists income-eligible households in managing electricity costs through special discounts or credits. Programs are funded by Emera Maine, Central Maine Power, Eastern Maine Electrical Cooperative and Fox Islands Electric Cooperative, Inc.
For more information, please call the Bangor office at 207-973-3630 or toll-free 1-800-215-4942 or the Rockland office at 207-596-0361 or toll-free 1-800-585-1605.
Central Maine Power Credit
This program assists income-eligible Central Maine Power (CMP) customers in obtaining credit for new lines and poles. To be eligible, individuals must:
- Meet certain income guidelines and Maine State Housing Authority requirements.
- Not have received CMP’s Assistance Credit in the previous 3 years.
- The property receiving the credit must be applicant’s primary residence.
For complete eligibility details and more information, please call the Bangor office at 207-973-3630 or toll-free 1-800-215-4942.
Those in the Rockland area may call the Rockland office at 207-596-0361 or toll-free 1-800-585-1605.
SafeLink Cell Phone Service
SafeLink Wireless makes wireless telephone service more affordable by offering qualified customers a free SafeLink Wireless phone and up to 250 free monthly minutes with no commitments, contracts, or bills. For more information click HERE or click the SafeLink logo below. You can also call Penquis at 973-3630; 1-800-215-4942. ext. 3630.
Central Heating Improvement Program
The Central Heating Improvement Program (CHIP), funded by Maine Housing, provides grants to repair or replace central heating systems that serve low-income households. CHIP funds may only be used to repair or replace dangerous, malfunctioning, or inoperable heating systems that pose a threat to health and safety. Only the primary heating source for the home is eligible for this funding.
- The entire cost may be awarded towards repair or replacement of central heating systems. This benefit is only available to homeowners.
- An award of up to $400 may be available for rental properties occupied by tenants who qualify for the Low-income Heating Assistance Program (LiHEAP).
- Those who apply for LiHEAP are automatically considered for this program.
You may be eligible to receive CHIP funds if:
- Your household is eligible for the Low-income Heating Assistance Program (LiHEAP).
- Your home is in good structural condition.
To Learn More:
For a full description of the eligibility requirements and to determine whether you qualify, please contact Shannon Bean in the Bangor office at 207-974-2407 or Robert Hartford in the Bangor office at 207-973-3634. You may also call our toll free number at 1-800-215-4942.